Objective: Apply pressure and counter-pressure in the midfield
– The playing field is divided into 3 zones with a central zone common to both teams and filled with players competing for the possession of the ball.
– One team can play in his own defensive zone without being countered. It tries to pass opponent who apply pressure in the central zone and once it reaches the forward zone it may not be countered anymore.
– The players may enter the opposing defensive zone or forward zone by keeping the ball through quick exchanges, dribbling or overlapping but not through long passes.
– Once behind the divided line players can shot at goal without being tackled anymore. But they should do that in the shortest possible time.
– The game is not restricted to a fix number of maximum touches, but players should always keep in mind the necessity to quick play as much as possible in order to take the opponents by surprise.
From: Coaching the Italian 4-4-2 with Arrigo Sacchi