Objective: Be able to regain possession of the ball through defensive pressure.
– This exercise uses the all field.
– The blue team (GK + 4 backs and 4 midfielders) defend themselves from the attack of 11 players of the grey team.
– The 4 midfielders looking for a short and diagonal line with the last player forming an angle to the line of the other 3 midfielders.
– The team must be tight and short to defend themselves from an attack of the sides.
– The defensive strategy requires to the 4 backs to move forward in the same line to leave the opponents offside.
– The 4 midfielders must attack the ball passed between the players of the other team.
– Alternatively apply pressure according to the position of the opponent with the ball.
– Well coordinated position between all the players.
– Arranging themselves according the position of their teammates.
From: Coaching the Italian 4-4-2 with Arrigo Sacchi
Author: Pedro Mendonça