‘I LOVE THE GAME TOO MUCH!’
Football Philosophy of Jurgen Klopp:
‘COUNTER-PRESSING (GEGENPRESSING) IS THE BEST PLAYMAKER’.
Counter-pressing (gegenpressing) – win the ball back, high on the pitch and you are close to the goal, only at one pass to a good opportunity:
- Lose the ball and press the opponent with the ball (chasing all over the pitch).
- Mood to press; mood to recover the ball.
- The player more close to the ball tries to press the ball.
- If you stay really high they don’t play, they shoot the ball to attack.
- Lose the ball and be wild boys.
‘CALM WITH THE BALL:
- First of all: do not lose the ball, keep the ball, no reason for risk in some situations.
- The target is to have the ball as long as possible.
‘SPLIT THE PITCH TO DEFEND’:
- #9 and #10 have to split the pitch for us because we decide how big is the pitch we have to defend.
- React when the ball is in the air (when opponent’s play long).
- To defend really as a team we need somebody who gives you a sign (left side / right side whatever).
- If they are playing in a specific side close the gap, #10 cannot let the #6 receive an easy ball and decide everything in his position).
- Close the spaces in the middle and try to recover the ball in the sides.
- Always being compact in all situations. We need to have the all formation there.
FULL BACKS – ‘Be an Option’:
- They play in half spaces, sometimes they have to play really high (they are the winger) other times the center midfielder.
- The Rule is: be an option to get the pass or be protection for the other players.