Pep Guardiola – ‘Start Play through the Middle’
In the book: ‘TAC-TAC: Training Pep’s Fútbol using Tactical Periodization’ we show some SubPrinciples from Manchester City’s coach.
In this related to Offensive Organization, Pep Guardiola wants:
- Defenders must play through the middle / central-channel as the outside spaces are often pressure zones for the opponents:
- However, if the Full-Backs can receive the ball ahead of their direct opponent, the play should ‘start wide’:
Train this SubPrinciple with ”4v4 + 7 Offensive Jokers”:
- Team of 4 players (red or blue) in possession of the ball tries to give 20 consecutive passes without interception of the other team, using the 7 Offensive Jokers.
- In the middle of the field they play a 4v4 + 1 Offensive Joker situation with support of 6 Outside Offensive Jokers.
- The players of the team in possession only can use the outside lateral offensive joker if the pass is to the other half of the field (after the middle line – offensive field).
- Team without the possession tries recover the ball quickly.